Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Shamrock" Shakes for the Dairy-free Crowd

Malcolm and Jordan both love McDonald's Shamrock shakes (actually, so do all of us in the family), but less than half of a small shake has their dairy allergy causing their bodies to cry out in despair. I set out to try and find an alternative that I can make to help them get through this time of year and still be able to enjoy the shakes right along with us. Here are the 2 recipes (I like the second better, but it isn't exactly kid friendly)... it serves 2.

RECIPE 1 (Kid-friendly)

2 cups vanilla soy ice cream
1 1/4 cups soy milk
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
8 drops green food coloring

RECIPE 2 (Adults only)

2 cups vanilla soy ice cream
10 oz. Mint Liqueur
8 drops green food coloring

For both recipes: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

1 comment:

  1. I made these for Malcolm & me last weekend and they turned out great except for the fact that I was a little heavy handed with the mint extract. Watch carefully how much of this you put in... more is not better in this case and will leave you with a slightly offputting aftertaste!

    ReplyDelete