Monday, January 18, 2010

The art of doing nothing!

Have you ever had that feeling where you just want to do nothing?  I notice a lot of people posting that single desire as their status on Facebook, "So-and-so wants to do nothing."  So how come they don't?  Nowadays, doing nothing is really frowned upon... why?  Here's a little trick I learned from my grandpa... when you feel like doing nothing... do nothing!  I'm not talking about doing some insignificant time-wasting activity, sleeping, thinking about your to-do list, etc... I'm talking absolutely nothing!  Sit down, stare at the blank wall and do nothing!!! 

You will find that you get extremely bored very quickly and want to get up and get moving again.  It actually increases your motivation and productiviy level because instead of obsessing about just wanting to do nothing, you've already done it and your brain can move on to the next thing.  I usually tell my facebook friends to try it and those that do almost always comment back, "Wow!  I can't believe it, but that actually worked!"  Allowing yourself to do absolutely nothing has it's downfalls though... you will likely find yourself more creative, more excited about the things you have to do, and perhaps just generally enjoying your life more.  So, proceed with caution!

No comments:

Post a Comment